The Insider Tips to Parking in Downtown West Chester
December 11, 2015 | by Ronna Dewey, Dish Works
West Chester PA -- With so many wonderful options for dining and shopping in downtown West Chester, finding parking can sometimes seem like an insurmountable task. But with a little know-how, you will be parking like a pro in no time. Believe it or not, there are plenty of places to park in the downtown area. You just need to know where to look.
Read on for our top tips to help you get where you’re going quickly and avoid the dreaded parking ticket.
Street Parking: 3 Easy Ways to Pay
There are plenty of metered parking spaces in the downtown area and there is no need to rely on just quarters. Meters accept quarters, credit cards and payments via your phone.
1. Quarters: If you are paying with quarters, you get 10 minutes for each quarter, up to three hours total.
2. Credit Cards: If you pay by credit card, the charge is $0.75 per half-hour, up to three hours total. There is no extra surcharge or processing fee for using a credit card.
3. Pay-by-Phone: Additionally, you can pay from your mobile phone using PassportParking Mobile Pay or by calling 610-628-4255 (mobile with text ability).
Enforced Metered Parking Times: 8am–10pm, Monday–Wednesday; 8am–12am, Thursday and Friday; and 5pm–12am on Saturdays. There is a three-hour limit at the on-street meters downtown.
Hot Tip -- If you are running a little late, there is a five-minute grace period after your meter expires. After that, parked cars are subject to an overtime parking ticket.
Parking Lots: 8 Accessible Options
More comfortable parking in lots versus on the street? Lucky for you, there are several convenient parking lots in the downtown area. Explore each of the links below for specifics on hours and fees:
- Lot 5 (135 S High St, between Miner & Barnard)
- Lot 7 (100 W Chestnut St, at Darlington)
- Lot 9 (200 W Miner St, at Darlington)
- Lot 10 (50 W Chestnut St, at Church)
- Lot 11 (100 E Market St, between Walnut & Matlack)
Hot Tip: Lots 9 and 10 use kiosks that take quarters or credit cards. They also provide long-term parking options.
Parking Garages: 3 Central Locations
Your best bets for worry-free parking are the two municipal garages—the Bicentennial (20 S High St at Market) and the Chestnut Street Garage (14 E Chestnut St at Walnut)—and the Justice Center Garage managed by the County. Each provides easy access to hundreds of businesses.
Perk of the municipal garages? You only pay for just what you use and never have to worry about getting an overtime parking ticket. (That’s a relief, isn’t it?) There are several garage payment options, and many merchants and restaurants offer garage discount coupons, too (just ask!).
The Justice Center Garage, where you have the option to prepay during your parking stay, is just as attractive.
Hot Tip: The entire Justice Center Garage is free after 5 p.m. daily and throughout the weekend.
For Special Events, Score Parking Deals Around Town!
Downtown West Chester is widely known for its must-attend community-wide events throughout the year.
The following special events have a $5 entry fee at the Bicentennial and Chestnut Street garages and at most parking lots:
- Iron Hill Twilight Race Series
- Chester County Restaurant Festival
- Old-Fashioned Christmas Parade
Hot Tip: Visit DowntownWestChester.com prior to the many annual events downtown to find out about special parking information.
Explore what's happening in West Chester at DowntownWestChester.com.
See the complete Parking Map of Downtown West Chester
See the complete West Chester Restaurant Directory.
See the complete Downtown West Chester Retail Directory.
See the West Chester Visitors Guide.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
contact: Malcolm Johnstone